May 26, 2008

Tribulation

Tribulation

John 16:33
These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.

I recommend reading 16:16-33 to grasp this verse in its context. Just for a quick synopsis, Jesus is warning His disciples as He speaks to them of things to come. And all that He spoke we see in Acts and other books of the bible. But let’s look at it personally. We too will go through things, many unpleasant and some may even seem unfair. Steven Curtis Chapman’s youngest daughter (5 years old) was run over by a car the other day. Please keep them in your prayers. They are a loving family and Steven and his wife have done so much for people and children in need. They set up a foundation (Shannoah’s Hope http://members.shaohannahshope.org/site/PageServer) to help folks financially afford the costs of adopting a baby from China. Many folks who were never able to have children, have been able to adopt unwanted babies from China. You look at things like that, and you wonder, “What did they do Lord? Why her? Why them?”

And when we’re going through things, we ask “Why me?” You know what? I don’t have an answer for you. I don’t know why. I just know that we have to trust in the Lord, no matter what. We have to know that He loves us, and He has promised to always be with us. It’s often difficult to understand tragedies and sudden deaths that occur. And we will probably never understand some things that happen… not until we’re with Him. (God always has compassion… look at how Jesus reacted to seeing funeral processions… He broke them up by raising the person from the dead. Jesus showed the Father’s compassion and love through what He did.) Who knows what may happen? Perhaps someone will (through this tragedy) go to Steven’s website, and come to know Jesus. Maybe more than one… Perhaps someone else will see this and will begin to support the ministries that they are involved in… and many, many more will come to know Christ and be saved from oppression. I don’t know, I’m just speculating. But I know God will do things through this tragedy. He will move, He will be glorified. It’s not our place to blame God or question Him. Even though He understands when we do. Many people have become angry with God (myself included) and may have even shouted that they hate Him!

But He’s big enough for that too. He will still love you, and He will draw you back to Himself. He understands grief and the things that occur during that grieving period. Pray for those who are going through tough situations, and be there for them. Your best bet is to love them, don’t try and explain anything or say something goofy like “God needed him/her up there with Him.” Just let God move and He will hold them up. From the sudden death of my father (when I was 20) to other deaths in the family I’ve come to realize you never are really prepared, even when you know the time is short. It’s still a loss that you will grieve about. I read a poem at my dad’s funeral, I officiated his mom’s funeral… sang and preached… (very hard) and I sang at my other grandmother’s funeral. God is gracious and merciful, and we may never know why. We can speculate and wonder, but we will probably never know on this earth… why. It’s probably better that way.

James

No comments: