May 6, 2008

Squawk

Squawk

Kathy, Genni the wonder dog and I wandered around the lake yesterday before supper. I brought the camera along because there have been some flocks of various birds that I wanted to get a shot at if I had the opportunity. Most of the lake is now open water, or at least water on top of the ice so it won't be long before the ice is all gone.

I tried a few shots of a pair of gulls out on the ice. They weren't much to write home about, but I did catch one squawking, quite by accident I will confess.

Squawking Gull - Broadmoor Lake Alberta - April 2008 - K.F. Corbin

Gulls are the noisiest birds that I know of other than geese that can kick up quite a cacophony as well. They remind me of some politicians, always squawking even when there doesn't seem to be anything to make noise over. I'm convinced that they simply like the sound of their own voices.

I confess that gulls also remind me of some Christians. They are always squawking about loving there neighbour and sharing Jesus with a hurting world. Yet, it seems to me that it is all squawk and no walk. Lots of noise, plenty of talk and nothing ever comes of it. Like some politicians at election time.

Sometimes, our "religion" and our "prayers" are all about public show. Jesus doesn't think much of that approach.

Luke 18:9-14 NIV
To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: `God, I thank you that I am not like other men -- robbers, evildoers, adulterers -- or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'

"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, `God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'

"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Our faith walk is not something to be squawked about. It is something to be lived out. Jesus did not tell his disciples to "Have a meeting and talk about going into all the world" nor did He tell them to "talk about healing the sick".

Now, I recognize that we're human and sometimes it takes a certain amount of squawking and posturing before things get done, but if that is as far as we ever get it is a problem.

We cannot afford to sit in our little buildings and squawk about how much better we are than the world. Jesus condemned that very attitude in the Pharisee. We actually have to go outside the wall, interact with people and learn to see them through the eyes of Jesus and love them with His love.

Until next time, may we find you out loving people instead of in the church squawking about it.

Kevin

No comments: