May 27, 2008

Is Life Too Hard?

Is Life Too Hard?

There came a day in Joe's life when he realized it just wasn't worth it anymore. His struggles had become more than he could handle, both mentally and physically. First he lost his job, then he found out he was either over-qualified or under-qualified for the few jobs that were available. The one business willing to hire him wouldn't pay enough to feed his family much less the mortgage and other bills. Then his wife left taking their two children, moving across the country. He became hopelessly depressed and suffered a heart attack.

Upon being released from the hospital, having no place or no one to turn to he went to the woods to die. He decided to have one last talk with God.

"God," he said, "life is too hard, can you give me one good reason not to quit right now?"

To his utter amazement God spoke to him. "Look around," God said. "Do you see the fern bushes and the bamboo surrounding you here in the forest?"

Joe looked around and replied, "Yes."

God said, "When I created the fern and the bamboo I took great care of both of them, yet only the fern came up quickly and covered the earth with its beautiful green leaves although I gave them both water and sunlight to grow. I did not give up on the bamboo plant even after four years of care. Then the fifth year a tiny sprout appeared which seemed insignificant to the growth the fern had gained. Even then I did not give up on the bamboo because I knew the bamboo had spent five years growing roots and soon it grew to a height of 100 feet.

The fern didn't need large strong roots to bring forth its beauty to bring me glory but the bamboo did and when it did come forth it brought me much glory also. If I had quit or given up on the bamboo it would not have glorified me. I would not give any of my creations a challenge it could not handle.

Each and every thing I created was created for a purpose just like the bamboo has a different purpose than the fern. Did I not create the lion and the lamb? I know and give each of my creations exactly what they need to fulfill their purpose. I have never nor will I ever give up on anything I have created.

I know you have suffered much, but you have grown strong roots through your suffering which you will need to bring me glory. Without the suffering you have experienced you would not have come to the end of yourself and you would not have turned to Me.

I am the Master Potter; I made every heart that received the breath of life. I know what it takes to turn every heart to Me; until that heart is mine it cannot glorify Me and until every heart is mine I shall not give up on it. Now that you have turned to Me your time will come and you will rise high!"

"How high should I rise?" Joe asked Him.

"How high will the bamboo rise?" God asked in return.

"As high as it can?" Joe questioned.

"Yes," God said, "Give Me glory by rising as high as you can."

As Joe walked out of the forest he started to realize where he had gone wrong in life. He had lived for himself instead of living his life for his creator. He had sought only glory for himself instead of for the sovereign God who had created him.

God had never given up on him but had been preparing his heart so he would learn how to live to glorify Him. He now knew God would never give up on him and no matter how hard life became he could never quit for he was made to glorify God and God was for him. He realized that God would never give up on him or allow anything to happen to him that His grace would not be sufficient to see him through.

Romans 8:31-39 KJV
31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Never regret a day in your life!
Good days give you happiness.
Bad days give you experiences.
Both are essential to life... KEEP GOING…
Happiness keeps you sweet.
Trials keep you strong.
Sorrows keep you human.
Failures keep you humble.
Success keeps you glowing.
But only God keeps you going…
He will never give up on you.
Never give up on Him!

How can we ever compare the sufferings we endure during our short time on this earth against the eternity we will spend in heaven with our Lord and Saviour?

This story came to me signed "Author Unknown"; I have rewritten it to incorporate my own style but hope I have stayed true to the original author's intent and meaning.

Bob Goulding

No comments: