May 19, 2008

PRAYER! – Can you pray “The Lord’s Prayer”?

PRAYER! – Can you pray “The Lord’s Prayer”?

Matthew 6:5-6
"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.”

Do you ever wonder if you are praying in the correct manner or for the correct thing? That was a question that Jesus’ disciples were concerned with. It reminds me of a humorous story about a man who met a bear in the deep woods. He tried to run from the bear, but tripped and fell. As he lay on the ground waiting for the inevitable, he saw that the bear was kneeling in prayer. He was overjoyed that this was a Christian bear - that is until he heard the bear’s prayer: “Thank you Lord, for providing this food I am about to eat!”

Last week I received a wonderful look at the Lord’s Prayer from Barbara Nell in South Africa. I wrote and asked permission to use it, and she graciously said yes, but said that it was written by the famous author, Anonymous. Thank you Anonymous!

The Lord's Prayer:

I cannot pray "OUR," if my faith has no room for others and their need.
I cannot pray "FATHER," if I do not demonstrate this relationship to God in my daily living.
I cannot pray "WHO ART IN HEAVEN," if all of my interests and pursuits are in earthly things.
I cannot pray "HALLOWED BE THY NAME," if I am not striving for God's help to be holy.
I cannot pray "THY KINGDOM COME," if I am unwilling to accept God's rule in my life.
I cannot pray "THY WILL BE DONE," if I am unwilling or resentful of having it in my life.
I cannot pray "IN EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN," unless I am truly ready to give myself to God's service here and now.
I cannot pray "GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD," without expending honest effort for it or if I would withhold from my neighbor the bread I receive.
I cannot pray "FORGIVE US OUR TRESPASSES AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO
TRESPASS AGAINST US," if I continue to harbor a grudge against anyone.
I cannot pray "LEAD US NOT INTO TEMPTATION," if I deliberately choose to remain in a situation where I am likely to be tempted.
I cannot pray "DELIVER US FROM EVIL," if I am not prepared to fight with my life and my prayer.
I cannot pray "THINE IS THE KINGDOM," if I am unwilling to obey the King.
I cannot pray "THINE IS THE POWER AND THE GLORY," if I am seeking power for myself and my own glory first.
I cannot pray “FOREVER AND EVER," if I am too anxious about each day's affairs.
I cannot pray "AMEN," unless I honestly say "Not MY will, but THY will be done, so let it be.

“And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.” Matthew 6:7-8

Pastor Cecil Thompson

No comments: