May 26, 2008

Do not be Stiff-necked

Do not be Stiff-necked

Acts 7:51 - Ye stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

Being stiff-necked can not be attributed only to people who do not accept the Lord. We can be stiff-necked at various stages of our spiritual growth. First we need to understand what being a stiff-necked means.

What the experts say about stiff-neck?

'Not all stiff necks are the same. While most of the time a stiff neck is caused by whiplash, ergonomics, wear and tear, or just sleeping in a funny position, there are those instances where it can be the sign of something systemic. Meningitis, an infection of the lining of the brain, is one such instance, and can be quite serious.'

If you see a person suffering from a stiff-neck you will find that the head and the torso part of the body of the person in a fixed position. The person is restrained in his or her movements. It is not that the person is paralyzed. When God called His people stiff-necked it did not mean they were un-believers. They did believe Him, but they also had a set of believes which were against God's Word, which they kept fixed and which hampered their faith.

Being a Christian is an evolving process. You need to understand that the Word of God although written eras ago, the truth and understanding of it was not revealed completely. As years go and the grace of God grows, we are receiving more and more understanding of the Word. Any person who claims total understanding of God's Word is a fool. It is only at the end days that the complete truth will be revealed to man and this will result in many becoming like Jesus (although not completely Him). God is working in us and we need to allow Him to mold us. This work will continue with our generations and our future generations until the due time. Do not keep your mind and thoughts fixed; allow the Lord (Holy Spirit) work on it and to mend it everyday. Things, that hold us back and makes us stiff-necked is our uncircumcised heart. Fear of what others will say? What I have learnt from God's Word is not what people have been believing, will they reject me? Will this change my life completely, how will I manage? If the system rejects me, will I be alone? Will I loose all the good things in life?

Let us circumcise our hearts and let the Lord work in us that we may be healed completely and become more and more like Jesus.

Holy God, your ways are marvelous. You are patient and perfect in your work in us. We who are so much unlike Jesus Christ; You are working in us and making us like Him. Let me not be stiff-necked and hamper your work in me. I ask this prayer in Jesus' Name, Amen.


Reference Scriptures:

1 Corinthians 13:9-12
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

2 Corinthians 13:8-9
8 For we can do nothing against the truth, but for the truth.
9 For we are glad, when we are weak, and ye are strong: and this also we wish, even your perfection.

John 4:37-38
37 And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth.
38 I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.

Dean

No comments: