September 27, 2008

The Mouse!

The Mouse!

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” I Corinthians 13:4-7

Confession is always good for the soul. Joyce and I were enjoying a cup of coffee this morning when we happened to think of the episode of -- “THE MOUSE!” Not just any mouse, mind you, but “THE MOUSE!”

In a way it was one of my finest hours -- but in reality is was pure and simple deception. I have already confessed it to the Lord and to Joyce, so do not hammer me about dealing with the issue.

It all happened one evening in Vancouver, Washington. In the middle of the night, Joyce was awake, feeding our baby son. She happened to see a small mouse out for a leisurely stroll. Now to me this seemed to be normal and proper behavior for a mouse. To Joyce it was a national crisis. With a scream she fled into our bedroom and issued this ultimatum: “You will be getting up with the kids in the middle of the night until that mouse is gone!” That got my immediate attention!

Traps were set at every logical location. After a week the traps were still empty and I was on permanent night duty. It was then I came up with a remarkable plan. The next evening I walked into the kitchen and got down on my knees to look under the refrigerator. I pulled out the empty trap and called in a happy voice, “Honey do you want to see it?”

Joyce squealed and said, “Just get it out of here!” I walked outside and made noise as if I had thrown it in the garbage can. Remember, it was all just a farce, there was no mouse. I did not say there was, but I had lied by intimation.

Do you have any mice in your life? Are there things that you say and do in order to lead people to believe something that is not true? Let me be a little more specific -- do you lead people to believe you are a dedicated Christian when, in fact, you are living a sham?

Integrity is a quality that is becoming increasingly rare, in our families, our communities, our nation -- but sadly even in our churches. That is a tragedy. Above all else, we need to be authentic.

I am not setting a mouse trap here. I challenge each of us to examine our hearts to see if there are things hidden there that have been disguised as something else. This may be a painful exercise, but it will free us of a heavy burden of guilt. That is real love!

Pastor Cecil A. Thompson

No comments: