September 1, 2008

Legacy Writer

Legacy Writer

"Light shines the brightest in the dark. Why then would Christians rather the wonderful days of light and joy than the days of darkness when the world can see Him clearly?" ~ Ralph McPherson

Today I spent the afternoon with my son and his wife. They celebrate their first anniversary tomorrow. As I watched and listened to them, one word kept coming to mind: legacy. He has grown into a man. He serves God, is a gentle and loving husband and loves to just hang out with his wife and friends.

Legacy is what you are remembered for. He was known in his school days as a competitive athlete. Today he has built a new legacy, and day by day that grows.

I'd like to tell you of a woman named Ruth Fisher. Ruth was a woman who didn't think of herself or her comfort before she thought of others. She could be exhausted, yet still cook for someone who wanted food. You could go to her when you felt that you had no one who would take you in. She was the epitomy of unconditional love. She was a mother of four and she loved being a mother. She lived to nurture. That is her legacy... what she is forever remembered for. You see, Ruth Fisher was my grandmother and I, and my son, are a product of her unconditional love. She taught me so much by example. She didn't criticize. She served. She didn't cause divisive arguments. She loved the most unlovely. When I was first saved and didn't know who to talk to or who would take my homeless self in, she came to my mind. Not only was she thrilled about my conversion, but we shared many nights in the days and years ahead talking about family, God and Heaven.

Had you asked me who could step in to fill her shoes, I would have had to think hard. It is a huge shoe to fill. But not impossible. It would be someone who sees others first and serves when they feel like being served themself.

Unconditional love and serving shouldn't come out, as my grandmother taught me, only when times are bad, or there is an unexpected death. Those things cause us to draw closer to each other, but they should be the hallmark of all of our lives. In good times and in bad.

Whatever country you are reading this from today, I challenge you to this: How can you change your legacy? Is it what you want it to be right now? What if a disaster came upon you suddenly and there was no more time to change it - would you be remembered as you would want to be remembered? Not only by friends and family, but by all who knew you.

I made it a choice of my will to change mine... to be like she was because she was quite simply the manifestation of a woman who walked with God and expressed His unconditional love to those He longs to fellowship with.

This week, ask God to show you your legacy as it is now. Ask Him to reveal to your heart how you can be molded to resemble Him to a hurting world. Don't just love the loveable... love and pray for those who hurt you, your loved ones, or those who have caused nothing but pain and injury to the people around them.

I want to be found loving and serve like my grandmother. I believe with all of my heart that if we stop judging, critcizing, and step up to be Jesus revealed to those around us, we will change not only our legacy, but the lives of those around us.

Michelle Molina

No comments: