September 11, 2008

Can you roar?

Can you roar?

Romans 5:17 “…but all who receive God's wonderful, gracious gift of righteousness will live in triumph over sin and death through this one man, Jesus Christ.”

Prov. 28:1 says, "The wicked man flees though no one pursues, but the righteous are as bold as a lion." The wicked man described here is one that doesn't know Jesus - doesn't love God, and has no knowledge or idea or what spiritual strength is.

When I was in the fourth grade - nine years old, I was one of the smallest boys in school. The smallest boy in school is typically going to get picked on just because he is an easy target. I worked out some by doing pushups and lifting weights so that I wasn't a complete pushover, but just my size made me feel like I was wearing a sign that said "I'm the smallest guy around, come pick on me." One of my very best friends in school happened to be the biggest and strongest kid in school in that age group. We were always together at school. Consequently, for anyone to get to me, they had to go through him. I knew that I was safe just because of him. I wasn't stupid. I didn't take advantage of the situation and antagonize guys because I had a big friend. I was just grateful I did. I was extremely grateful for his friendship, first just because he was a great friend, but secondly, because by just being there, he saved me from a lot of trouble.

This is really the way it is with the Lord. We have to live in a world defiled by Satan and sin. I recently heard a great Bible teacher on television say that God brings and allows adversity to test and grow our strength, character, and faith. I highly respect this person and their ministry but on this one point, they are dead wrong. God never brought adversity in the Garden of Eden to Adam and Eve, nor would it have come if they hadn't sinned. It came because of their sin. Sin and consequently death (and everything leading up to death) came to us all because of sin. We read in Romans 5:12 "When Adam sinned, sin entered the entire human race. Adam's sin brought death, so death spread to everyone, for everyone sinned." That sin and all the effects of it have touched all of our lives. It is the source of every evil in the world and that evil spills over into our lives. There is enough adversity for a life time for each person. God doesn't have to bring adversity to us. It comes like weeds in a garden or lawn - with no effort or help from anyone. You have to pull those weeds in that garden. You have to resist those weeds in your lawn. And you need to resist that trouble that comes at Satan's hand in life. But as I taught last week, it's not people we fight. Its “…principalities, and powers and rulers of darkness,” (Eph. 6:12) AND temptations of Satan to become weak, powerless, helpless, and like the wicked man that flees when no one pursues.

Jesus is the big friend we have in life and He and His Holy Spirit live within us if we invite Them. They help us become "…strong in the Lord and in the power of His might! (Eph. 6:10) Though sin came to all men and made us weak and Satan's prey to be picked on, Jesus brought us righteousness to help us be as bold as a lion! Romans 5: 15-17 says, "...And what a difference between our sin and God's generous gift of forgiveness. For this one man, Adam, brought death to many through his sin. But this other man, Jesus Christ, brought forgiveness to many through God's bountiful gift. And the result of God's gracious gift is very different from the result of that one man's sin. For Adam's sin led to condemnation, but we have the free gift of being accepted by God, even though we are guilty of many sins. The sin of this one man, Adam, caused death to rule over us, but all who receive God's wonderful, gracious gift of righteousness will live in triumph over sin and death through this one man, Jesus Christ.”

Recently one morning when I woke up I felt sick. My entire body felt off - like this big cold and cough was forming in my chest. I haven't had a cold or the flu in over ten years. I had Renee lay hands on me to pray for me. Mark 16:17-18 says, "And these signs will accompany those who believe... In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; ... they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well." She rebuked this attack from Satan. I remembered how the devil used to get me to cower at these kinds of symptoms. No more! I pressed through the day in the Lord’s strength and woke up the next morning feel great. I thanked God for healing me and thought I would expose him through Fresh Manna.

1 Peter 5:8 says, "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walks about, seeking whom he may devour." Satan impersonates a lion, but WE ARE TO BECOME AS BOLD AS A LION! Satan will seek whom he may devour (those that don't know how to resist him.) We are to become the righteous that are as bold as a lion and tell him to flee in Jesus name! A wicked or slothful man will flee or cave at the first sign of trouble or symptom. The righteous will lift their head, and roar "No - flee in Jesus name!"

I used to get sick all the time. I used to get strep throat every year. I used to get a cold every year. I used to get the flu every year. It's been so many years since I've had any of that I sincerely cannot remember when I did. Oh symptoms may start to come, but I begin to roar! We have a big friend named Jesus!

In His Love,
Pastor Tim Burt
Fresh Manna

Published by Pastor Tim Burt
Copyright© 2008 Tim Burt, All rights reserved

No comments: