August 29, 2008

There's Jesus Now!

There's Jesus Now!

"You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will be qualified to teach others." 2 Timothy 2:1-2

There are certain people in our life that have made a significant impact. One was an old man by the name of Ernest. I say old, but that was from the point of view of a boy of four or five. In fact, he was only in his 60's. Now that I have passed into my 70's, that seems pretty young. He was one of those precious souls that loved the Lord from the depths of his being, and was not afraid to demonstrate it in his actions. He used an old Bible that was as worn and battered as he. The cover bore scars from excessive use.

Ernest used to sit in his old rocking chair and read his Bible. He would read silently, but his lips would move as he read verse after verse. He would sometimes hold the younger grandchildren on his lap as he read the life revealing Word of God. One could only wonder if he realized he was impacting those young lives by his quiet devotion.

There came a day in his life, when things just did not feel right. He consulted a doctor and learned that he had cancer. There were many days of pain and exhaustion. He lived at a time when medical treatment was limited, and Ernest realized that his days on this earth were very limited. He sent word to his eight children that he would like to see them all one more time. They came from Texas, California, and those who lived near him in Washington state.

In his final hours of life, he shared from his heart all that God had done for him, and how much he loved the Lord. As his children gathered around his bed in that small living room, he encouraged those of them who were not serving the Lord, to do so while there was time. For those who did know the Lord, he challenged them to be faithful in their walk. His breathing became easier, and it seemed as if the pain had been removed from his body. He raised up on his elbow and looked toward the door. These were the last words of Ernest Thompson, my grandfather; "There's Jesus now!"

I cannot begin to count the number of times I have told the story of grandpa Thompson. I do know it is nothing as compared with the countless times I have thought of his words. It has given me a hope that there is a heaven to be gained, and a hell to be shunned. It has been a constant beacon to direct my way through the storms of life.

What about you, who have not had a "grandpa Thompson?" You are stuck with me! Stop that whimpering right now!!! You see, I was not in that room when grandpa died. His words and the scene was related to me by my dad. I have been living the glory of grandpa Thompson's death as a result of what my dad had seen and shared. Now, I have related it to you, it is up to you, to accept it in faith and allow it to give you a light in your darkest night.

Paul encouraged Timothy to recall those meaningful words and the actions that he had observed in Paul's life and pass them on to the faithful who could in turn pass them from one to the other. It might be said that the Gospel was the first and greatest multilevel marketing strategy in the world. It only takes one who will duplicate himself in the lives of others, who in turn will repeat the process, until the world realizes the presence of Jesus.

None of us know for sure, where we will be when it is our time to die. We also have no idea when it will be. The only certainty is that each of us will die unless the Lord catches up His church in the rapture. I have a driving ambition to be faithful in teaching and living as Jesus has instructed. I myself am a grandpa Thompson now.

As I mentioned earlier, I am older than my grandpa, Ernest Thompson was when he died. I have many precious spiritual children and grandchildren. I want them to see my battered Bible, and watch as I read those precious words, and also watch as I live a life that is committed and real. Regardless if I die surrounded by people, or all alone, my desire is that my last words will be; "There's Jesus Now!"

Pastor Cecil A. Thompson

No comments: