August 29, 2008

The Old and the New

The Old and the New

2 Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore if any person is [ingrafted] in Christ (the Messiah) he is a new creation (a new creature altogether); the old [previous moral and spiritual condition] has passed away. Behold, the fresh and new has come! (AMP)

A little girl about seven years old tapped on a neighbour's door and waited. A lady opened the door, and the child held out a tiny box and said, "Would you please give something for the poor in another land?" Looking at the girl, the woman hesitated for a moment, then got her purse and dropped a half-penny into the narrow opening at the top of the box. With a quick "Thank you", the girl raced to the corner sweet shop and purchased a large bag of inferior candy.

I am ashamed to acknowledge that I was that child! Thus you have a glimpse into the corrupt and wicked character of the young "Old Me".

Today, I am a "New Me" -- still very interested in the work of missions, but for a totally different reason. My first interest was to obtain monies for personal gratification, momentary enjoyment -- some poor-quality candy, quickly eaten, and the flavour soon forgotten. I thank God that He forgave me for this dishonest act, and during my adult years, entrusted me to spread the gospel of love under various circumstances -- a gospel which has a long-range program and reaches into eternity.

Perhaps, there is a mother or grandmother who is reading this devotional and thinking my former character describes their own young son or daughter, or grandson or granddaughter. Let's not become discouraged. My mother must have been horrified upon being told how I obtained the money to purchase the candy. I could not tell an untruth, while looking into my mother's searching blue eyes. I told her every detail of my missionary endeavour. This story has a wonderful ending, for my mother and father had the pleasure of seeing the New Me involved in Christian ministry for a number of years.

Our gracious heavenly Father, You are the God who can make the impossible, possible. You are the God who saw the possibilities in the life of a little girl, regardless of her outward activities. You are the God who gave Your dearest and best to enable such a selfish little child to become a giving and joyful adult. Thank You, Father, for Your Son and our Saviour, Christ Jesus. Amen.

Vena Pole

No comments: