August 18, 2008

I don’t have time!

I don’t have time!

Psalm 119:145-148

“I call with all my heart; answer me, O LORD, and I will obey Your decrees. I call out to You; save me and I will keep Your statutes. I rise before dawn and cry for help; I have put my hope in Your Word. My eyes stay open through the watches of the night, that I may meditate on Your promises.”

How many times have you complained about never having enough time for Bible study, prayer and meditation? I am not counting the hands, but I would guess that a vast number of you have your hands up.

Back in the 1970’s I was working in a high pressure job and was deeply concerned about this very issue. Try as I might I could not seem to find the time for study. My problem was that I was trying to come up with the solution on my own.

It suddenly dawned on me that I needed to pray and ask the Lord to show me where I could find the time I needed. Almost immediately He answered my prayer.

As I looked at my schedule, I asked the Lord to direct my mind to times I could spend with Him. Immediately I noticed time in the morning before the rest of the family were awake. I figured I could rise 20 minutes early and still get plenty of sleep.

The second segment of pure gold was the lunch hour. Rather than going out to lunch I could bring my lunch and also bring Bible study materials so I would be ready to enjoy an hour with my Lord.

It worked! Not only did it work, but other Christians who worked for our agency were motivated to start their own time of study. At first I felt they were intruding when they dropped in to ask a question about a certain passage, but then I realized that steel sharpens steel. “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” Proverbs 27:17

Not only did the Lord show me periods of time to spend with Him, I suddenly had more time than ever before. It was a wonderful testimony to His control over our activities.

There is one phrase in Today’s Scripture that I would like to mention;

“- - - that I may meditate on Your promises.” What does that mean? I will tell you what it means -- it means that we need to hide God’s Word in our heart so we can bring it back to our mind over and over.

How can we meditate on God’s promises if we have not hidden them in our heart? A favorite singing group of ours, Ponder, Harp and Jennings have a song with this phrase: “You can’t stand on God’s promises if you don’t know what they are!” Do you know some of them?

Pastor Cecil A. Thompson

No comments: