August 20, 2008

The Deception of Unity?

The Deception of Unity?

II Corinthians 6:15-17
“What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: ‘I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.’ ‘Therefore come out from them and be separate,’ says the Lord. ‘Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you.’ ”

The eyes of much of the world are being focused on Beijing, China and the 29th Summer Olympic games. At the opening ceremony, the president of the International Olympic Committee spoke of the theme for the games: "The theme of these Games 'One World, One Dream.’ "

With athletes from 204 nations packing the huge floor of the arena it was easy to be caught up in the euphoria of the moment. With such harmony and happiness -- surely this could be the start of peace on earth. BEEEEP! Wrong answer!

UNITY WILL NEVER INSURE WORLD PEACE! It is sad that even those who are followers of the Lord Jesus Christ have compromised the infallible Word of God by choosing unity rather than obedience.

Just because we observe others acting or re-acting in a certain way does not mean that it is true. I once was teaching a college class and wanted to demonstrate the danger of relying on the response of others.

I had washed a perfume bottle completely and purged it of any odor. Remember -- I had told the class that it was dangerous to rely on the responses of others. I was now about to catch them off guard.

Before class I had enlisted several students to assist me in the test. I asked them to sit in the front row and raise their hand after twenty to thirty seconds.

I told the class I wanted them to raise their hand at the moment they could smell the perfume. I would lecture in the ordinary manner and I wanted to see how keen their sense of smell was. (See how devious I can be?)

After twenty seconds the students I had enlisted to help me, began to raise their hands. Soon everyone on the front row had their hands up and then second row and several in the third row.

I stopped the lecture and asked them what fragrance they thought it was? They finally agreed that it was floral and probably lilac. They were stunned as I passed the bottle of pure water around and they discovered that there was no perfume and they had responded because others had responded. Some even said they were sure they could smell an aroma of perfume.

There are many religious leaders who are leading the faithful away from the pure Word by their charismatic personalities and the hoopla surrounding a polished production. We must never let this happen!

There must never be a compromise with anything or anybody who deviates from the pure Word!

Pastor Cecil A. Thompson

No comments: