August 20, 2008

I’m the Greatest!

I’m the Greatest!

Mark 9:33-35
“They came to Capernaum. When He was in the house, He asked them, ‘What were you arguing about on the road?’ But they kept quiet because on the way they had argued about who was the greatest. Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, ‘If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all.’ "

Did you ever wonder what the disciples of Jesus were like? Were they plaster saints without faults or failings? Did they fall short of being the men of God that they should have been?

In today’s Scripture we have one glimpse into the behavior of the disciples that may often go unnoticed. They were proud and self-seeking! That is so hard to say that I hardly can believe I typed it.

Perhaps it is human nature to desire to be better than others. If so, it is our fallen nature. Pride is sin! I want to repeat that for effect: PRIDE IS SIN! The sin of many believers is going beyond pleasing the Lord -- rather it is being in competition with other Christians. In God’s kingdom there is no place for Super Saint!

Jesus stopped their arguing by telling them what they had been saying and going beyond to describe who is truly the “great one” in His kingdom: “If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all.”

That is so far removed from what we would ordinarily think that it is hard to fit it into our thought process. We tend to feel that it is essential to be recognized as being number one on someone’s list. That is not what the Lord desires.

The disciples must have been following at a distance from the Lord when they had this argument. It reminds me that there are things we may hide in our heart that we do not want the Lord to know about. We often deceive ourselves by thinking that God does not know what is going on in our mind. HE DOES!

I think the answer to being able to deal with pride and arrogance in our life is to stay close to Jesus. It is when we stray from His presence that we start thinking thoughts that are self-centered and willful.

In Psalm 119:133, the Psalmist David directs this prayer to the Lord; “Direct my footsteps according to Your word; let no sin rule over me.” Lelia N. Morris has written a hymn that reflects that prayer:

NEARER, STILL NEARER

Nearer, still nearer, close to Thy heart. Draw me, my Savior, so precious Thou art; fold me close to Thy breast, shelter me safe in that “Haven of Rest,” shelter me safe in that “Haven of Rest.”

Nearer, still nearer, nothing I bring. Naught as an offering to Jesus my King: Only my sinful now contrite heart, grant me the cleansing Thy blood doth impart. Grant me the cleansing Thy blood doth impart.

Nearer, still nearer, while life shall last, ‘til safe in glory my anchor is cast; through endless ages, ever to be, nearer, my Savior, still nearer to Thee. Nearer, my Savior, still nearer to Thee.

Pastor Cecil A. Thompson

No comments: