April 30, 2008

Happiness - What's the Secret?

Happiness - What's the Secret?

Psalm 9:10 Those who know your name will trust in you. For you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.

So glad you decided to take a little breather in the midst of a hurried world.

First, I want to say, "Thank you!" How absolutely grateful I am to those who inquired about the results of my eye procedure. I know, it's kind of crazy being blind and talking about this. Sigh. But here's the summary:

I eased into the large chair at the doctor's office, my face pressed on the chin rest.

"Look straight ahead," the ophthalmologist said.

"Can you see the light?"

"Yes." I hesitated.

"Well, maybe a little bit."

He heaved a pained sigh. "I was really hoping to recover at least some sight." Sadness, almost sorrow rang in his words. "Maybe some shadows after removing the cataracts."

"It's okay. I'm not worried about it." I gave him a genuine smile. "I have so many things to do and accomplish. No time to worry about what my eyes see or don't see."

He squeezed my hand. "I wish all my patients had your disposition. You sure have a contagious happiness within you."

What a sweet doctor, don't you think? But what he didn't know is that superficial happiness is the last thing I seek. I learned that being "happy" came and went along with events and circumstances. And at one time, I'd chased it, big time. Then, when I lost my sight, I groped for happiness but it had vanished in the darkness of my world.

When Christ opened the eyes of my heart, freedom ushered in. I found there's incredible comfort in knowing you don't have to trust in what can change, hold on to what can end, lean on what might crumble, or count on what can vanish. Instead, I cling to God's Word, which stands firm, unchanged, powerful and true. "Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added onto you." (Matt. 6:33)

Don't you love the order of His priorities? After all, it's all that works - if you chase only your dreams, you won't be at ease. If you hunger for what the world has, your angst will not cease. But if you seek God first, your soul will know peace.

"Those who know your name will trust in you. For you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you." (Psalm 9:10) How's that for a guarantee? His promise has nothing to do with happiness, but instead, confidence and joy that transcends circumstances, emotions or events.

Janet Perez Eckles

No comments: