April 24, 2008

You can have it, but I want it back

You can have it, but I want it back

Two toddlers are sitting in the floor playing. They are at Suzie's house, and the floor is filled with toys. Suzie is playing with her blocks, and Davey is trying to decide what to play with. Suzie tells Davey, Davey, you can play with ANY of my toys. I'm playing with the blocks, but you can use ANYTHING that you want.

So Davey takes her up on it. He picks up her toy telephone, and begins calling his little sister... and he's having a great time... such a great time that Suzie suddenly wants to play with the telephone, so she reaches out and grabs the phone. Davey, of course, is upset, and tells her that HE was playing with the phone because she told him that he could use anything that he wanted to. Her response is, I know that I gave it to you, but I want it back to play with it myself.

Don't we do the same thing with God? He tells us, in one of my favorite verses (1 Peter 5:7) to cast your cares upon the Lord, for He cares for you. But how often do we really cast them to Him, and allow Him to keep them? Don't we take them back to play with them ourselves for a while?

I don't know about you, but I'll really good at giving God the burdens of my heart, but taking them back from Him and worrying with them for a bit, and then giving them back to Him. I'm good at SAYING that I'm giving God my cares and worries, but I don't seem to truly let them go... sound familiar?

Worried about your family? Concerned with your finances? Got a health problem keeping you up late? Problems with your relationship with your spouse? Your boss getting on your nerves?

Philippians 4:6-9 says: Don't be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Phil. 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, do; and the God of peace will be with you.

There it is, my friends - in simple English - by prayer, and in faith, give your concerns to God. Then, again by prayer and in faith, allow Him to KEEP them, and watch as His will is done with your requests. Remember that sometimes He says wait, and sometimes He also says no.

The peace that is promised will come as you allow Him to move in your life, and as you align your life with His will.

Want God to help you carry the load? Then give Him your concerns, and DON'T TAKE THEM BACK!

Momsooky

No comments: