April 27, 2008

Spring Cleaning

Spring Cleaning

Psalm 55:22 - Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall. (NIV)

Spring cleaning! I pulled every piece of furniture away from the walls, washed them down, cleaned the stove of its winter ashes, and picked out a brass frame, clock, and lamp I wanted to put on the little table when I put the room back together. Then it happened: the mood to spring clean left me - forever!

I was coming down the stairs, and my hands were full, so I mentally counted the steps. Seven, right? I stepped off the last one, and that's when I walked off into thin air! "I'll never do spring cleaning again," I moaned in pain. Several hours later, I went to the hospital to have the injury checked.

"Broken in three places!" the bespectacled doctor muttered. "Why did you wait so long to get help?"

And so, facing the prospect of hobbling around in a cast for six weeks, I have turned off spring cleaning forever!

On a more serious note, many of us have figured out how many steps we need to take in order to make things work. We plan our day and expect it to turn out just so. Sometimes, it does, but sometimes, unexpected troubles come our way - things that cause us severe pain. At first, we may try to cope on our own. We try to cover our pain and continue on as though nothing serious had happened, but if we look around, the telltale signs are there: the bruises and the scars. When this happens, it's time to go to the Great Physician, God, our heavenly Father, for help. He'll probably wonder why we didn't come sooner, but unlike the doctor, there will be no tone of reproach or sarcasm when He listens to our symptoms.

Dear God, we are so thankful that You care about us when we are hurting. Thank You for gently binding our wounds and helping us to find rest and healing. Amen.

Elaine Ingalls Hogg

No comments: