April 27, 2008

Sympathy of Jesus

Sympathy of Jesus

I will never leave you nor forsake you. Hebrews 13:5

Read: Psalm 34:15-22, 2 Kings 6:1 - 8:29

One night at the Salvation Army Citadel after Booth Tucker had given a sermon on the sympathy of Jesus, a man from the audience approached him and said, "If your wife had just died, like mine has, and your babies were crying for their mother who would never be coming back, you wouldn't be saying what you're saying." Tragically, Tucker's wife was killed in a train wreck a few days later. The funeral was held at the Citadel; and after the eulogy, Tucker addressed the audience, saying, "The other day a man told me I wouldn't speak of the sympathy of Jesus if my wife had just died. If that man is here, I want to tell him that Christ is sufficient. My heart is broken, but it has a song put there by Jesus. I want that man to know that Jesus Christ speaks comfort to me today."

Because of Jesus' promise to never leave us or forsake us, we can be assured that when we face discouragement or heartbreak, He'll be right there, holding our hand through every moment of sorrow. Lean on that truth and allow it to give you strength for another day.

God walks with us. He scoops us up in His arms or simply sits with us in silent strength until we cannot avoid the awesome recognition that yes, even now, He is there.

Gloria Gaither

No comments: