February 12, 2009

Let It Be

Let It Be

Luke 1:38 - "I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May it be to me, as you have said." Then the angel left her. (NIV)

When reading the Christmas story, I am always amazed at the amount of trust that Mary, a young girl, had in the angel's words. She was an adolescent, unmarried, and inexperienced in the ways of life, but yet she bravely consented to Gabriel's proposition. She placed her full trust in God and what she was being asked to do.

Unlike Mary, I've never seen an angel, but I have believed in God as far back as I can remember. But if an angel approached me today in the way he approached Mary, I'm still not sure that I would have faith strong enough to consent to his requests.

Why, in all my years of believing in and loving God, is my faith still so insecure?

As I look back down the pathways of my life, I can see where God has helped me through many struggles, deep valleys, dark nights of the soul, and losses of loved ones. In all of these, God has been with me and brought me through the darkness to light again. Why can't I trust Him enough for me to do whatever He asks of me?

These thoughts spurred me on to analyze love and belief. If I joined the two together, I could develop trust in Him who has been there all the time.

Psalm 91:2 - I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." (NIV)

When we trust more, we worry less, and like Mary, who had chosen her refuge and fortress, we can then consent to His will for our lives.

Prayer: Lord, may we anchor our trust in You, and like Mary, be ready to do Your will when You ask us to do something that requires our complete commitment. Amen.

Ivie Bozeman
Thomasville, Georgia, USA

No comments: