February 12, 2009

I CAN’T TURN!

I CAN’T TURN!

“When tempted, no one should say, ‘God is tempting me.’ For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.” James 1:13-15

Here in the beautiful State of Washington we have been hit by two snow storms and another is on the way. I was called out to meet with a family in preparation for a funeral service. The snow had stopped, but there was at least six inches covering the roads. I have driven on snow and ice enough to not fear driving in the white stuff, except to be concerned about other drivers who may lose control.

As I returned home and drove into the garage, I happened to notice that snow had caked on the tires and was starting to build up in the wheel wells. I smiled at the reality that I had seen such a build-up several times before.

Those of you who live in warm and sunny climes may not have had the experience I am about to relate, but try to picture this scenario. There are two times I have had it happen. After driving for several hours in very snowy conditions, I began to notice difficulty in steering. I was gradually able to steer off the roadway to see what the problem was.

It was then that I saw that the front wheel wells were almost completely packed solid with snow. The snow was packed so solidly that I had to use a sharp iron bar to break it away. After awhile the same thing occurred, and I had to stop to clean out the problem.

Perhaps you can guess where I am heading with this. Sometimes in our spiritual walk we start picking up things (even good things) that prevent us from being able to steer in the right direction. Most of the time, this build-up is caused by questionable decisions or conduct.

It is possible for us to pack our life so full of worthy activities that we lose control of our steering. Even spiritual activities done in our own strength and without the Lord’s calling will so clog our “wheel wells” that we lack the ability to steer.

The way we can clear the blockages in our steering system is to humbly bow before the Lord and ask Him to direct our paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 says it best: “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.”

Pastor Cecil A. Thompson

No comments: