June 14, 2008

Crystal

Crystal

The other evening I was rooting through a box of odd "treasures" that I have kept. There are all sorts of mementos and bits and pieces that I have kept for a variety of reasons. Some of those bits and pieces have sentimental attachments, some are practical and then there are other things that I'm not really certain why I kept them.

For example there was a watch with a broken crystal. I remember when the crystal broke; it had been cracked for some time and finally gave up the ghost and shattered into tiny pieces. None of the pieces were crystal; all of them were plastic.

Once upon a time (a long time ago and in a galaxy far, far away... sorry, I got carried away there for a moment) the lens covers on watches were made of glass and more closely aligned to the word crystal. For all I know, on expensive watches they still are. I break watches on a pretty regular basis so I quit buying expensive ones years ago.

It's interesting to me to follow words and see how the meaning or context can change. My watch crystal wasn't. My Kleenex isn't (it's another brand) nor is my Band-Aid (for the same reason). My Aspirin isn't either (it's generic ASA). I haven't moved up to an I-Pod yet, but my "walkman" isn't either.

Church is a word that has taken on a whole different meaning. For many people church is a building on a street corner. For some it means the congregation or denomination they belong to and excludes anyone else. For some it's sort of a social club. For others it's something you belong to because your great grandparents did, although you never go yourself or have anything to do with it.

While there is some validity to these meanings; they are not what the church is about. The church is the body of true born again Christian believers worldwide. It doesn't matter what the denominational differences are, what the ethnic differences, and what kind of facilities they have or don't have. They might be conservative and non-demonstrative. They might be very charismatic and ultra demonstrative. They might meet in a big building on a corner, or in someone's home or in a strip mall or in some countries outside under a tree.

You can be part of a religion or a congregation and not know Jesus. You can go to worship and be a member of a church board and not know Jesus. You might have paid for all the bricks and mortar in that wonderful building, but if you don't know Jesus, you're not part of the church.

The church is the most exclusive and least exclusive club in the world. It's the most exclusive because you must be born again. “In reply Jesus declared, ‘I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.’

‘How can a man be born when he is old?’ Nicodemus asked. ‘Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!’

Jesus answered, ‘I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, `You must be born again.' The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.’” John 3:3-8 NIV

It's the least exclusive because anyone who is willing qualifies for membership.

‘If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile -- the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."’ Romans 10:9-13 NIV

Anyone who believes, accepts Christ and is born again is the member of your church. I'm going to make an arbitrary decision to stop right here because this could easily launch into a very long sermon about what the church is and isn't and who the true members are. I could launch into a long diatribe about the way the "church" treats its members but I won't do that either. My point is simply this, when you think of the word "church" what do you think? Maybe you've lost the true meaning of the word.

If you know Jesus, rejoice in the fact that you are part of His church.

Kevin

No comments: