July 7, 2009

A Fish Story

A Fish Story

It might sound like a contradiction in terms, but I want to share a true fish story with you. I know, I know fisherman have been known to tell the odd whopper or exaggerate, but I'll do my level best to stick with just the truth.

Way back in the Stone Age when I was about thirteen or fourteen years old, we lived in a community in Northern Alberta, called Fort McMurray. It's pretty much a small city today, but in those days it was a town of less than 5,000 people at the end of 125 miles of gravel road (with no services along the way). There was no television or radio and the paper came in a day late by Greyhound bus.

For Mac is located at the junction of several rivers, so there was always lots of good fishing. I suspect it has changed over the years, but back then you could walk to any of the rivers and catch a variety of fish with relative ease.

One summer day, I grabbed my pole and tackle box and walked the mile and a half or so to the Athabasca River. I went by myself, so it seemed a grand adventure. I rigged my line with my favourite red/white spoon (for the benefit of those who don't fish, a spoon is simply a type of lure, it's not something you eat with) and cast it out to a spot by a bridge piling.

First cast. Nothing.

Second cast. Nothing.

Third cast. Bang! As soon as the spoon hit the water something hit it hard and a long fight was on. In the end I landed the largest walleye I had ever seen. I was so excited that I packed up my tackle, grabbed my fish and headed home. Carrying the fish by the gills, the tail dragged along on the ground.

I was thrilled during the walk home as people drove by, honked their horns and yelled "nice fish". The fish was so big, I just had to go home and show it off. In my excitement, I forgot that walleye (or pickerel as we called them then, or walleyed pike as some know them) travel in schools of similar sized fish. The one I was so proud to drag home was most likely one of a number of fish that were equally likely to be caught.

A similar thing happens to many Christians. They come to realize that they need to know Jesus and accept Him as Lord and Saviour. They're so excited when they make the decision that they don't stop to find out there is so much more. It leads to many Christians living powerless lives or empty lives of just coming and sitting in the pew on Sunday mornings missing out on much of what Jesus had planned for them.

Accepting Jesus buys the gate pass to heaven and the forgiveness of sins, but it is only the first step in a wonderful journey through this life and into eternity. We're called to grow in that relationship, deepen our knowledge of who Jesus is and live lives of service.

We're called to ministry and gifted by God to fulfill that call.

Ephesians 4:1-16 NIV
As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit -- just as you were called to one hope when you were called -- one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it. This is why it says: "When he ascended on high, he led captives in his train and gave gifts to men." (What does "he ascended" mean except that he also descended to the lower, earthly regions? He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.) It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

Have you become content to just have your salvation? If so, you are missing out on so much more. We are ALL called to a deeper, more fulfilling life with Jesus and service in His name.

Until next time, praise Him for the gift of His salvation and ask Him to show you what else He has in mind for you.

Kevin Corbin

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please continue your great work, waiting for your nice postings

Anonymous said...

Please continue your great work, waiting for your nice postings