June 29, 2009

Jars of Clay

Jars of Clay

2 Corinthians 4:7 - But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. (NIV)

Every time I hear today's Scripture read, I am reminded of a message I heard at a special disability awareness service I attended a few years ago. A special guest, Jeff Steinberg, was invited to share his personal testimony and the challenges of his handicap. Having malformed legs, and no arms or hands, Jeff shared a powerful sermon entitled, "You're A Masterpiece In Progress," a message about the exceptional plan God has designed for each of our lives. As a mother of a disabled child, I listened with special interest; little did I know God would be speaking directly to me and to anyone with or without a disability.

When my son was first diagnosed with autism in the early 1990s, not many people seemed to be familiar with that term. When I mentioned that my son was autistic, some thought I said he was artistic. I remember thinking how much I wished that were the case. I now realize, however, that God has a special plan for my son, despite his disability. We will not always understand why some people have more challenges than others, but I know one thing for sure: if we place our trust in God, He will use anyone for His glory.

Although it has been very difficult raising an autistic child, I really can't imagine that it should have been any other way. If I had a choice, would I still prefer my son to be artistic instead? I can only say that what the Lord has taught me through this experience I would not trade for the world. The prophet Isaiah records this message: "Yet, O Lord, You are our Father. We are the clay, You are the potter; we are all the work of Your hand." (Isaiah 64:8 NIV) We, being earthen vessels, were created so God can display His power through our weakness -- and the apostle Paul reminds us that our treasure is "the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ." (2 Corinthians 4:6c NIV)

Prayer: Lord, like clay in the hands of a potter, help us to be submissive to Your will. Mould and shape us according to the pattern of Your divine plan, and make us each a masterpiece of perfection created for Your glory. Amen.

Lori Ciccanti
Ocean View, Delaware, USA

No comments: