December 19, 2008

Who Is He?

Who Is He?

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being. What has come into being in him was life, and the life was the light of all people. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it. John 1:1-5 (NRSV)

Jesus asked, "Who do you say that I am?" Matthew 16:15 (NRSV)

WHO was in the manger over 2000 years ago -- a baby, or God? Was this baby Mary's son, God's son, or God?

A few weeks ago my adult daughter asked me, "How come you never told me Jesus was God? I just thought he was God's son." She is studying the Gospel of John with a group, and she seemed to have had a revelation. Being a normal daughter, she blamed me for her not knowing that Jesus was God. After feeling a few moments of mother guilt, I said, "It's a good thing you and God are getting this all straightened out now."

My daughter's "revelation" is set out in the first four verses of today's reading. The Word was present with God before creation, and God's spoken word created the world. The Word became a child to teach us the way to the cross. God so loved us that the Word took on human form. In Christ we can know the Word, and the Word sets us free forever and ever. (See John 8:32.)

I gave my daughter a hug and told her to continue to read the Bible because there is more good news in it for her -- good news that God wants to show her personally. That night I praised the Word for coming into my daughter's world and mine.

Have you asked yourself who really was in the manger that first Christmas? God wants us to ask that question so we can claim Christ's light for ourselves.

Vickie Diers

No comments: