February 20, 2008

Head In The Sand!

Head In The Sand!

Look up into the heavens. Who created all the stars? He brings them out one after another, calling each by its name (Isaiah 40:26, NLT).

Dear friends,
As a young man, I was a materialist and humanist, so I can identify with multitudes of men and women, young and old, all over world, who have little knowledge of God. To me at that time, success in life was measured by the accumulation of material possessions, honors, applause, and the praise of men.

The idea of God, or a Savior, or the Bible, had little place in my life. All through high school, college and in graduate school, on the extension faculty of Oklahoma State University, and later as a businessman in Hollywood, California, where as a young man I developed my own business, I was motivated by selfish goals and materialistic pursuits.

Then one day I first sensed that unseen hand of God in my life. I can only describe it as a sovereign visit from God. Through my mother's prayers and the insistence of an elderly couple, I was drawn to the First Presbyterian Church of Hollywood, California. It was there for the first time in my life that I heard about the great Creator God of the universe who, according to the Bible, spoke and all of creation came into being. Scientists have recently reported that the Hubble telescope findings confirm 100 billion or more galaxies were created. To better understand what that means: This planet earth is like a grain of sand in our vast solar system, which is like a grain of sand in our galaxy, which is like less than a grain of sand in the vastness of all of creation.

Simultaneously, I discovered that my head had been in the sand -- the sand of mundane, selfish interests and temporal pursuits.

But there at that wonderful church in Hollywood, I was moved to look up, beyond my microscopic world, at the wonder of creation, behind which was an obvious Creator. And one day I met this One who, according to the Bible, came to this earth disguised as a slave in the greatest act of love the world would ever has ever known. He is Jesus of Nazareth, or Jesus the Christ.

My life has never since been the same since I surrendered my life to Him.

Bill Bright

[The late Dr. Bill Bright was Founder and President/Chairman Emeritus of Campus Crusade for Christ, an organization which began as a campus ministry in 1951 and now has more than 27,000 full-time staff and up to 500,000 trained volunteer staff in 196 countries in areas representing 99.6 percent of the world's population.]

No comments: